The Best Times of Year to Go on an African Safari Trip
Planning Your African Safari One Year in Advance
For many of us, January is a time to finalize travel plans for the upcoming year. If long-range planning is your thing, you’ve probably already done your research on the destinations you’d like to explore, and are ready to start getting specific about dates and accommodations for your trip.
What are the Best Times to Go to Africa?
If you’ve only just been bitten by the travel-bug and the fascinating wildlife of Africa has piqued your interest, you may be wondering if you can still plan a trip for 2014. The answer is, of course, Africa is a vast continent with a range of climates, so there is always a safari destination that is in season. Certain destinations fill up sooner than others, however, so we recommend you call one of our experts to help you to determine the appropriate lead time for securing space once you’ve narrowed down your interests.
- In January, Africa’s green season is in full swing, with plenty of babies and predators to make your wildlife-spotting particularly memorable, particularly in Botswana’s Chobe National Park.
- In February, light rains and plentiful grasses for grazing bring out calving wildebeest in Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park, while water lilies bloom in Botswana’s Okavango Delta.
- In March you can expect to see the Victoria Falls at its peak flow, or feel the cool Atlantic breezes on Namibia’s Skeleton Coast.
- A highlight of an April Spring Break safari for the whole family would be a classic “Big Five” safari in South Africa’s famed Kruger National Park.
- May is a great time to enjoy the delicate beauty of flowers and the savage beauty of predators in Tanzania’s Ngorongoro Crater.
- The stunning contrast of bright blue skies over enormous red sand dunes in Sossusvlei, Namibia is a favorite for June, as is an African wild dog safari in Linyanti Reserve, Botswana.
- In July, your family could make a Southern Africa safari even more memorable by swimming with the sharks on a shark Safari in Cape Town.
- August marks the beginning of the time frame in which more than a million wildebeests and zebras may begin their dramatic crossing of the Mara River, in the Great Migration.
- In September walking safaris in South Luangwa National Park, Zambia, are an excellent way to get up close to rich concentrations of leopards, elephants, hippos and giraffes in an unspoiled setting.
- In October soak in Devil’s Pool at the edge of the Victoria Falls and enjoy nearby cultural and safari activities at a number of luxurious accommodations.
- In November you can escape the onset of the Northern Hemisphere’s short, dark days at a gorgeous beach in Cape Town.
- In December, think about a getaway featuring our closest relatives in the primate world, the chimpanzees of Kibale National Forest, Uganda.
These and many more seasonal favorites await you in Africa. Our custom safaris allow us to help you craft your dream safari any time of the year that suits you and your traveling companions. Call one of our expert travel planners to help you shape your ideas, craft your journey, and find space at one of our preferred safari lodges.
For more information, or to get started with your research, visit www.bushtracks.com, or call one of our experienced African travel planners at 1-800-995-8689.